General Information for Candidates
Attend the 26th Annual
2013 AASSA Recruiting Fair
December 5 - 8, 2013
Grand Hyatt Buckhead
3300 Peachtree Road, NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30305
The AASSA Recruiting Fair, the first to be held each recruiting season, is specific to South American, Latin American and Caribbean International Schools. Typically, there are vacancies in the 50+ schools in attendance for over 350 positions representing all K-12 educational fields. Our schools vary in mission and size and offer a range of curriculums including “American international,” Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, as well as country-specific programs. Contracts typically include housing, medical benefits, shipping allowance, transportation, home leave and competitive salaries.
In order to be accepted as a candidate, teachers and administrators must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in area of specialization
- Appropriate certification, licensure, eligibility for certification, or lengthy teaching experience
- While many of our schools require at least 2 years of full-time experience, some schools may be willing to offer positions to and mentor new teachers
- Willingness to fulfill an initial 2-year contract commencing generally starting in August 2014
Candidates with more than one non-working dependent per contracted hire may be at a disadvantage in being hired.
Candidate Registration and Login
Application Procedure Overview
- Applications are submitted online. See registration instructions below.
- You will receive an auto-reply email upon completion of your application.
- We will evaluate your credentials and inform you regarding your eligibility to attend the fair, or not, in a separate email.
- If you are accepted, there is a non-refundable registration fee of $110 per candidate which can be paid by credit card on the AASSA website. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may mail a check to AASSA immediately upon your acceptance to:
1911 NW 150 Avenue, Suite 101
Pembroke Pines, FL 33028
- If you are paying from overseas, you will most likely need to either call Theresa Williams at 1 - (954) 436 4034 or email her (email@example.com) to process your credit card payment. Please include the following information: type of credit card, name on credit card, address of credit card holder, credit card number, date of expiry, the 3-digit security code on the back of the card.
You will have full access to the online system and will be able to search for vacancies and obtain information on the schools once you have been accepted and paid the registration fee.
- The deadline to submit applications and make payment will be Wednesday, November 27th.
- You may make hotel reservations at the Grand Hyatt, Springhill Suites or the Hyatt Place by following the link that will be sent to you once you are accepted to the fair. Be SURE to book before the stated deadline for each hotel.
- There are no fees to the candidate upon placement as these are paid by the hiring school
- Starting in late October, specific openings will be posted on our website as they are announced by the schools
- Candidates are strongly advised to attend the fair, but veteran overseas candidates may also create an application and hope to get a job online. Recruiters want to meet candidates face-to-face.
Online Registration Instructions
Step 1: Register:
- Go to the Candidate Login tab or click here to begin the application process
- Create a username and password and click whether you are available for employment, or not. If you are not available for employment, recruiters will not be able to access your files.
- Only register once. After that, sign in using your login and password. If you forget either, go the login page and use the online form to receive your username or password by email
Step 2: Complete the Online Application:
Complete ALL 7 parts of the application:
- Part 1: Select 4 positions/SAVE
- Part 2: If you have been referred to AASSA by Educators Overseas, please check Yes and then complete the remaining questions on the page/SAVE
- Part 3: Enter your education and credentials/SAVE
- Part 4: Enter your professional experience/SAVE
- Part 5: Enter complete information for your references/SAVE
- Part 6: Write a Narrative Statement/SAVE This piece of writing should be well-conceived and well-written since it will be read by a potential employer.
- Part 7: Upload your CV/Resume, Photo and 3 letters of reference from current or prior employers or supervisors/SAVE
- Note on Part 7: You may upload letters of reference you have in your possession (non-confidential letters) or you may ask your referees to submit confidential letters online. Just follow the instructions in Part 7 of the application if you would like any referees to submit confidential references on your behalf. Confidential references carry more “weight” than non-confidential references. You will NOT receive a copy of a confidential reference, but it will be available to the recruiters through our online system.
- Once you have submitted a complete application, you will receive an automatic email informing you that it has been referred to the AASSA staff for review.
- You will receive a final email informing you of your acceptance to the fair, or a rejection email if you do not meet the basic requirements set for the fair. The acceptance email will contain information on how to pay the registration fee and reserve a group-rate room at one of the fair hotels.
Browse and Search
- Positions will be listed as they come open in the schools, with most vacancies being announced in the final weeks and days prior to the fair
- You will receive an automatic email if a school lists a vacancy which matches a position you are seeking
- Candidates can search for positions in their fields and find a profile of each school. It is also recommended that you review each school’s website to be informed about the school.
You can send emails to recruiters through our system by clicking on their name in the browse and search screens
You can check whether referees who were asked to submit confidential references have done so.
Keep your profile up to date...
Step 3: Hotel Reservations
Upon your notification of acceptance as a candidate, the AASSA office will send an email with further information about the Recruiting Fair and will also provide a link to make reservations at one of the hotels.
The Final Step: The Fair
- A schedule of the fair’s activity appears on our website
- You should plan to register at the main registration on Thursday, December 5th at the Grand Hyatt from 6:00-7:30 pm and attend an orientation session from 7:30-8:30 pm which all candidates are expected to attend.
- A second registration session will be held on Friday morning, December 6th from 7:30-8:30am for those candidates who are absolutely unable to register on Thursday evening. This will be followed by a brief orientation session from 8:30 – 9:15 am.
- You should bring a laptop with wireless connectivity if you wish to be able to link to the AASSA site. There will be free internet access in the lobby of the hotel and a workroom in which we will have wireless access.
- Candidates should bring hard copies of their resume for the sign-up session, an original copy of educational credentials, letters of reference and other documentation to support their candidacy.
Please do not hesitate to contact Esther Nicolau or Terri Williams if you have any questions:
Phone: 954-436-4034, extension 5