AASSA Statement of Ethical Practices for Candidates
AASSA endorses the following recruitment practices and both recruiters and candidates who attend the AASSA Recruiting Fair are expected to abide by the practices outlined below:
1. While a verbal offer and acceptance are considered binding on both parties, it is strongly recommended that recruiters and candidates sign a letter of intent or a contract at the time the offer is accepted. Both schools and candidates are expected to honor offers made and accepted as well as contracts, whether written or verbal, unless contingency clauses apply.
2. If a candidate contracts with a school and does not fulfill the contract, it is standard practice to reimburse the school for expenses they have incurred on the candidate’s behalf including their AASSA placement fee.
3. Candidates should be aware that both the school and AASSA have the right to conduct (or request the candidate provide) criminal, sex offender registry and social media background checks. Finalized contracts are contingent upon clear reports of a candidate’s personal and employment history.
4. All information necessary for the candidate to make a well-informed decision will be provided at the time a contract offer is made. This will include clear contractual details regarding compensation and benefits, visa and residency permits, and working and living conditions.
5. Recruiters must adhere to the hiring laws of the country in which interviews are being conducted. All candidates will be given equal consideration without reference to age, sex, race, religion or disability.
6. When offering positions, recruiters should allow candidates who wish it a reasonable and mutually agreed upon time to make a decision.
7. An offer for the same position will not be made simultaneously to multiple candidates.
8. No offer will be made to a candidate who has already accepted--verbally or in writing--a position in another school.
9. No offer of employment or invitation to apply for a position will be made to an individual who is already under contract to another school for the same period of employment.
10. All pertinent information about candidates, where legally permissible, will be disclosed by heads of school having first-hand information to other recruiters.
11. It is the recruiter’s responsibility to contact references in person for each finalist candidate. Under no circumstances will confidential reference information be shared with a candidate.
12. The recruiter will inform all candidates under consideration about the school’s hiring schedule. The recruiter will also inform candidates in a timely manner when they are no longer under consideration for a position.
13. Candidates have an equal responsibility to notify recruiters if they have accepted a position and will not be honoring an interview appointment.