Santiago and Chile Information
We look forward to welcoming you to beautiful Chile!
Below is travel information for your stay in Santiago and other cities you may choose to visit.
Visa Requrements: Please go to www.visahq.com/visas.php to determine whether you require a visa and whether you will need to pay an entrance fee
Airport Information: Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport (Spanish: Aeropuerto Internacional Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez) (IATA: SCL, ICAO: SCEL), also known as Santiago International Airport and Nuevo Pudahuel Airport is located 15 km (9.3 mi) north-west of downtown Santiago
Foreign Exchange: USD's are rarely accepted as currency in stores, restaurants, etc. You can find currency exchange kiosks/“casas de cambio” (foreign exchange bureaus) at the airport, major hotels, in downtown Santiago (Agustinas street) and Providencia area. You can take out Chilean Pesos (CLP) at ATM's, which offer good exchange rates. It is recommended that you never exchange money on the street. You can use Visa, MasterCard and AmEx at most places, but cash is usually the best alternative throughout Chile. You should always have smaller CLP bills on you (1,000 - 5,000) since a lot of smaller businesses will not have change readily available for larger bills.
Weather and Dress: April is autumn, so average daily temperatures are between 24C and 6C (75F-43F). Wear multiple layers for daily variations in temperature.
Wifi: is accessible in most restaurants, bars, and hotels throughout Chile and will be available on-campus at the school during the conference.
What cannot enter Chile:
- VERY IMPORTANT - Fruits, seeds, vegetables (even the ones sold in airports!) or products of animal and vegetable origin that are not processed - STRICTLY ENFORCED!
- Firearms, ammunition or explosives.
- All types of illegal drugs.
Travel Agencies (bilingual):
Sightseeing in Santiago:
- Hop on - hop off tour bus.
- La Chascona (Pablo Neruda’s house in Santiago)
- Cerro San Cristobal (park, cable car)
- Parque Bicentenario (park)
Sightseeing near Santiago (within a 3 hour drive), could be day trips:
- Cajón del Maipo
- Casablanca Valley Wine Tasting
- Concha y Toro winery
- Yerba Loca
Need more than one day for travel:
- San Pedro de Atacama (2 hour flight, 3-4 days)
- Valle del Elqui (4 hour drive, recommended 3-4 days)
- Pucón (45 minute flight, recommended 2-4 days)
- Puerto Varas (1 hour flight, recommended 2-4 days)
- Chiloé (1.5 hour flight, recommended 2-4 days)
- Torres del Paine (2.5 hour flight, recommended 4-5 days)
- Easter Island (5 hour flight, recommended 3-5 days)
Rent-a-car in Santiago:
1. Chilean Rent a Car
Restaurants Near Conference Hotels:
Hotel Atton El Bosque: Pizzería Tiramisú, Liguria Bar & Restaurant, La Fuente Austral, and several more are located in the Costanera Center Shopping Mall
Hotel Atton Las Condes: Café Melba, Bagels & Co., Vittoria Pasta & Ciabatta, and Parque Arauco (shopping mall with food court, restaurants, variety of retail stores)
Hotel Atton Vitacura: Quinoa, Mr. Jack, Terruño Wine & Restaurant, and Parque Bicentenario (park ideal for walks, jogs, picnics, etc)
Courtyard by Marriott, Las Condes: Santa Brasa, Café Haussmann Las Condes, La Perla del Pacífico, and Parque Arauco (shopping mall with food court, restaurants, variety of retail stores)