(June 6, 2018)
AASSA collects a variety of data about institutions and individuals in line with our mission “to provide and promote programs and services to member schools whose primary language of instruction is English in order to enhance the quality of American and international education in the Americas” and we carefully consider what information is necessary to achieve this aim. We respect your privacy and have implemented technology and procedures with the objective of protecting your data from unauthorized access and improper use. Information may be collected from individuals and/or institutions that visit our blog or website, register for an event, utilize the recruiting service, complete a survey or use our app.
What information does AASSA collect?
We collect a variety of data on an institutional and individual level to provide member schools, associate members, recruiting candidates, and educators in Latin America with services and information.
Recruiting Service Candidates
We collect information to review and assess your qualifications for international employment, for instance: areas of expertise, employment history, education history, professional development courses and criminal background checks.
School and Associate Member Contacts
We collect basic data such as name, email and institutional affiliation from staff employed by member schools and associate members.
We administer a variety of surveys that collect a wide range of data from school staff, students, parents, board members and alumni. Some surveys collect personally identifiable information while others only collect demographic data.
Self-reported institution-level data is collected through AASSA Recruiting Portals and via surveys. Individual and institutional-level data is collected and utilized to facilitate payment processing and for registering to attend events.
Public Website (www.aassa.com)
How does AASSA use and share your information?
AASSA Recruiting Service Portals
To access the AASSA Portals, our technology platform uses your email or personally generated user name and a personally generated password to grant access.
Information is shared with school recruiters related to job vacancies that match your interests, areas of expertise and preferences. We collect references and other documentation for candidates seeking jobs and share those documents with school recruiters.
We may use an event app or share materials to promote networking at our events. If you are registered to attend an event, your name, email and school will be shared with other participants attending the event.
Membership List (posted on www.AASSA.com)
Some institution-level data about your school or company is shared through the AASSA membership list. The primary purpose of the membership list is to help third parties, companies, and potential member schools identify AASSA member schools and Associate members they may have interest in. Additionally, individuals seeking new employment opportunities may use this list to learn more about your institution.
We send regular communications to inform you of services available as part of your membership, and to conduct association business as noted in the membership agreement.
How does AASSA store and secure information?
We have implemented technology and policies with the objective of protecting your data from unauthorized access and improper use and will update these measures as new technology becomes available. We work with several data processors to deliver services to members. These processors include, but are not limited to, customer data management, event registration, online reporting and payment processors. These data processors will not use your personal information for any purpose other than what we have agreed with them.
AASSA is a non-profit membership association that engages in activities mainly in the USA and Latin America. We may also have recruiting service candidates and other affiliates that are worldwide.
Recruiting Service Candidates and Recruiters, Member Schools, and Associate Members Access to Data
Data may be accessed and edited by logging on to the password-protected AASSA Recruiting Service Portal. If you are no longer using our recruiting services you can delete your own data; however, if you would like us to delete some or all the personal or institutional information we have about you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How long does AASSA keep data?
Retention periods vary depending on the category of data. Our policy is to keep data for as long as necessary to fulfill the originally-intended purpose.
Information about the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) can be found here. GDPR outlines six rights for individual EU citizens in relation to their data.
- Right to Access: You can access all or most of the data we have about you through the AASSA Recruiting Service Portal. If you believe there is other data we have that you would like access to please email us at: email@example.com
- Right to Rectification: We strive to keep records accurate. If you would like to modify an inaccurate record, in most cases you can edit the data yourself through the Recruiting Service Portal. In all other cases, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Right to Data Portability: If you would like a copy of your personal data to transfer to a new system, please email email@example.com
- Right to Object: You can object to our processing your data in certain circumstances. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with more information about your request and reason for objecting.
- Right to Restrict Use: You can request that we restrict the processing of your data in certain circumstances. Please email email@example.com with more information about your request and reason for objecting.
- Right to Erasure: You can request that we delete your data in some circumstances, however, in most cases you can erase it yourself through the Recruiting Service Portal. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with more information about your request.